Gingival recession is a progressive oral health condition that can develop gradually and worsen over time. If caught in time, there are steps you can take to stop gum recession and greatly diminish its harmful effects on your teeth and gums. Arlington Periodontics is a periodontist office that educates patients about receding gums prevention in Arlington, TX.
How Do I Stop Gum Recession?
Once gum tissue is lost, it does not grow back on its own. You must seek treatment from our office in order to restore your oral health. There are ways to stop gum recession and stabilize your soft tissue volume. Arlington Periodontics might suggest preventative measures, including:
- Treating misaligned teeth
- Orthodontics can correct the crowding and misalignment of teeth that can put unnatural forces on certain areas, causing the gums to wear away.
- Proper brushing
- Ask Arlington Periodontics to show you proper tooth brushing technique and how often to brush and floss. Ineffective hygiene and aggressive brushing can wear down your gums.
- Change lifestyle habits
- Stop smoking or using other tobacco products that can negatively impact your gum tissue. Remove oral piercings of the lip and tongue. These piercings rub against your gums and wear them down. Stop chewing on foreign objects that can damage your teeth and gums.
- Avoid grinding and clenching your teeth
- Ask Arlington Periodontics about an occlusal adjustment and wearing a nightguard to protect your teeth, gums, and jaw against the extreme pressure and attrition caused by teeth grinding, especially at night.
Periodontal disease is the most common cause of receding gums. If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, seek treatment immediately. To stop gum recession or to learn more about your periodontal disease treatment options, call Arlington Periodontics in Arlington, TX and schedule your consultation today!