If you have extensive oral health problems, you might have had the thought, “Just pull the rest of my teeth and give me dentures!” Many patients do not realize that their quality of life can be significantly decreased due to the decision to wear dentures. Before making such a big decision, it is important to find out your options for tooth replacement, including learning about dental implants. Arlington Periodontics is a periodontal office who educates patients about the benefits of dental implants in Arlington, TX.
Many complete denture wearers have switched over to dental implants supported dentures or fixed bridges and have experienced the benefits of a permanent solution for their missing teeth. Unlike dentures, dental implants preserve your jaw bone while looking and functioning like your natural teeth. Dental implants can be used to replace a single missing tooth or multiple missing teeth, while dentures are more ideal for patients with many or all of their teeth missing. With dental implants placed securely in your jaw, you can eat whatever you like and not have to worry about your teeth slipping out or making embarrassing clicking noises when speaking or chewing.
Dental Implants vs. Dentures
There are many advantages to choosing dental implants over dentures for your tooth replacement option, including:
- Dental implants are made of titanium which do not decay and are compatible with your body and its tissues.
- They are stable. The dental implant is securely placed and integrated with your jaw bone and will function very much like a natural tooth.
- Customize your treatment. You can replace one tooth or all teeth.
- Preserve your jaw bone. The post of the implant stimulates the bone each time you chew and helps maintain bone density.
- Enjoy them for a lifetime. With proper home care and maintenance, dental implants may never need to be replaced.
Dentures and Removable Partial Dentures
- They are made of acrylic, metal, and plastic that can irritate your gums.
- They can move around when eating or talking.
- They are best used when replacing many or all teeth.
- They do not preserve the jaw bone.
- They typically need regular repair and replacement.
Dental implants offer clear benefits over traditional dentures and removable partial dentures when replacing missing teeth. To find out more about the benefits of dental implants, call Arlington Periodontics in Arlington, TX to schedule your consultation today.